[Coco] SuperPak Cartridge... coming soon.

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Dec 10 10:00:10 EST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 05:00:32PM +1000, Nick Marentes wrote:
> On 10/12/2015 11:21 AM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
> >Six months in the making, and it's almost here… the new SuperPak Cartridge Case. A cool new ROM Pak designed by Mark Siegel, produced by Boisy Pitre <https://www.facebook.com/boisy.pitre>, John W. Linville <https://www.facebook.com/linvjw>, and Mike Rowen. Available soon. (Pictures on the TRS-80 Color Computer Facebook page).
> >—
> >Boisy G. Pitre
> >CoCo Projects Coordinator
>

> I'd like to see a rom pak PCB that is designed to load a larger game file.
>
> I personally don't see the point of loading all the old 8K/16K rompaks into
> a multi-pak considering that all the ROMS are available as a DSK ready to be
> loaded from drivewire, CoCoSDC etc.
>
> Any games I write for the CoCo3 are going to be larger than the 8K/16K rom
> size anyway so I am currently restricted to loading them as DSK's.

I personally hope to see a number of new PCBs designed, now that
we have a ready supply of new cases to house them. With that
said, there is still plenty of fun to be had with the existing PCB
designs. All we need are a few game authors in search of a publisher... :-)

> I do like the idea of a game available on a ROM Pak. Makes a nice
> collectible in years to come.

Even better, I don't have to cast plastic resin for the new
cartridges... :-)

> How did Mark Seigel "design" this Rom Pak? It's basically a copy off a
> standard ROM Pak from the 80's isn't it?

You may want to take a closer look at the pictures (available
on Facebook). The single biggest change is the lack of a sliding
door. The PCB sticks out the bottom, similar to the molded cases I
did over the past year or so.

Hth!

John