[Coco] OT: Recovery Disc set for Dell Inspiron 15 3520...

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Thu Aug 27 13:54:28 EDT 2015

I've been able to access the partition, but the recovery program won't run
to make the discs or a CD key.

The two files that make the discs are in a format called .WIM which are a
special Microsoft compressed format, and are not ISO files. There is not an
easy way to convert these to an ISO file to burn them. Every way I've tried
has failed. Dell has been rude and unhelpful. My only hope has been to find
someone else with the same model of laptop running the same version of
Windows to run the Recovery program to burn me a set of Discs.

There are companies that claim to sell the discs, but I don't trust they are
free of malware.

If something doesn't turn up in the next few days, I'll have to live with a
generic Windows install and not have all the apps that came with the laptop
when I bought it (DVD player, Roxio Burn software, etc...) I can replace
most of it shareware/freeware. But I paid for the registered stuff and I'd
like to have them back.

-[ Al ]-