[Coco] Mechanical keyboard upgrades for the CoCo

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Wed Aug 26 20:32:48 EDT 2015

> On Aug 26, 2015, at 17:30 , Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, there are 4 unused spots on the COCO 1 & 2 keyboards. The Coco 3 filled thosed spots with Cntrl, Alt, F1 & F2.
> The Coco 3 does not actually use those keys in RSDOS, but OS9 L2 is unusable without them.
> I think there were "alternate" DOSs for Disk Basic that would use the keys, but they were never "officially" supported by Tandy. The Coco 3 was designed with OS9 L2 in mind and hence the extra keys.

As I recall, the HJL-57 keyboard had the four extra keys, marked F1 through F4 with two on each side of the space bar. Hence the 57 in the name: 57 keys, vs. 53 on the stock CoCo 1 keyboard. Both of my proposed layouts include all 57 keys, just with different physical placements.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/