[Coco] [SPAM] Kicking the Z-80 butts...

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Apr 29 10:50:08 EDT 2015

Joe, I've been reading about the FM-7 for years. I first heard of it through mention of Microware's version of OS-9 for the FM-7 in a Rainbow article.
The graphics on the FM-7 were FAR superior to the Coco 2 and it had an MMU capable of bank switching long before the Coco 3.

With text resolutions of 80x25 & 40x25, and graphics resolution of 640x200, blew the Coco 2 out of the water and it was comparable to the Coco 3 even before it came out! Check out these screenshots!
http://www.nausicaa.net/~lgreenf/fmsoft.htm

Sound was 3 voice (onboard) with 3 noise channels.

3 card slots (one for a CP-M card), so expansion was available.

I saw one on ebay a few years back but could not afford it and hated to see it go to someone else. I've wanted one for years.

The "FBASIC" is a port of Coco's MS BASIC with more commands. The OS-9 L1 was "almost" OS-9 L2. The screenshot shown actually says "OS-9 Level 2", but a lot of people called OS-9 v1.2.0 "Level 2" up until the actual L2 came out Coco. Level 2 had been out for other machines for years, so most of the work was done when they ported it to the Coco 3.

Tandy could have done all this to the Coco, but I imagine it was out of their "Coco budget" and besides, it would've been a better machine than their lower end 1000s, and that would've been forbidden.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com