[Coco] Kicking the Z-80 butts...

Hugo Dufort hugo at seshat.ca
Tue Apr 28 21:05:37 EDT 2015

Knowing that the NES uses a resolution of 256x225, in terms of raw
resolution, such a game is within the Coco3's capabilities (it could
even scroll and double-buffer at this resolution). However the Coco3 has
a more slightly more limited palette and, of course, no coprocessor
offering blitter functions or sprite management...

I'm currently working on a nice platformer / vertical scroller game that
will use a similar resolution. We'll see how it works out...

Hugo

Le 2015-04-28 20:48, Mark McDougall a écrit :
> On 29/04/2015 5:25 AM, J Arcane wrote:
>
>> Video is absolutely the limiting factor with the CoCo, or at least video
>> and sound. The 6809 powered some very high quality arcade games in
>> its day,
>> but the CoCo lacked a dedicated sound synth, and the graphics support
>> lacks
>> the built in sprite and scrolling modes that hardware like the C64
>> had. So
>> you have a very powerful processor, but that processor has to do a
>> lot more
>> of the work running a game than it does on something like a C64 or
>> one of
>> Konami or Williams' boards.
>
> This. Adding higher resolutions and colour will do nothing but burden
> the 6809 further. You only need to look at the NES with (scrolling)
> tilemap and sprite hardware to see how much load that takes off the
> CPU, and what sort of quality games you can produce. I'd venture to
> say that a Coco with such hardware would place it somewhere between
> the NES and SNES in capability.
>
> The Williams boards with a 1MHz 6809 (after Defender) had a blitter
> for moving graphics around memory, optimised for the video memory
> architecture. Konami's Tutankham only had (split-screen) scrolling,
> but Juno First had a blitter as well.
>
> Of course it's all academic without any software developed
> specifically for it. I firmly believe that adding tilemap/sprite
> hardware capability to the Coco will open up all sorts of
> possibilities for porting existing, high quality games to the Coco.
> It's far easier to port a game than develop a new one, and you don't
> need to be a commercial games developer to do it. Just think about
> Super Mario Brothers on the Coco!
>
> Regards,

---