[Coco] Kicking the Z-80 butts...

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Apr 28 16:32:30 EDT 2015

Hey, if you implement the processor itself in FPGA you might find that
it could keep up fairly well with some of the larger graphics spaces.
I've got a little Altera board that is running a 6809 core at 25 MHz.
Currently I've got it throttled back to 16 MHz so I can access an
external 55ns static RAM with no wait states.  Hoping to get a 10ns RAM
working soon so I can go back to the 25 MHz.

Also, at about 25 MHz you can run a pixel clock that will give you VGA
resolutions.  So why couldn't you implement a 640x480 graphics system
that refreshes itself on the opposite side of the clock much the same as
the VDG and GIME work on the CoCo?   ....just an idea.

Dave Philipsen