[Coco] A little help with OS9

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu Apr 23 20:37:54 EDT 2015

It's been more than 20 years since I booted my CoCo 3 into OS9 and now
I've pulled out of storage two NOS CoCo3s that have been collecting
dust.  Both of them run just fine and I've already implanted a 63C09
into one of them.  All of my old CoCo stuff is long gone including the
Magnavox monitor, my B&B hard drive interface, ACIA Pak, floppy
controller, and MPI.  I'm using a 19" arcade game style frame monitor
that I also pulled out of storage.

What I would like to do is get OS9 and/or NitrOS9 up and running as
easily as possible and without a lot of extra cost. I have no problem
with hacking the main board, burning new ROMs, etc.  I've got all the
equipment to do that.  But what is the easiest and quickest way to get
booted and actually have the ability to load/save files given the fact
that I don't have any peripherals anymore?

Ultimately, I want to create at least a partial CoCo 3 functionality on
my Multicomp board and eventually write device drivers to support an SD
card, PS/2 keyboard, etc. so that I can boot OS9 on it eventually
running at 25 MHz.  And, at some time in the future, I'd like to figure
out a way to read and archive all of my old OS9 floppies (if they're
even readable at all any more).  Any comments/help/guidance would be
appreciated.

Dave Philipsen