[Coco] OS-9 loading NEW WAY

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 22 14:24:35 EDT 2015

On Wednesday 22 April 2015 09:50:20 Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 April 2015 09:55:06 Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> >> projects.  It offers improvement for existing systems too, for
> >> instance simplifying the nitros9 boot up while saving precious
> >> system ram at the same time.
> >
> > Can you elaborate on that Aaron?  I could sure use some help with
> > the sysram squeeze.
>
> Brett could definitely explain it better than I can, but the general
> idea is that there are a few sections of code in a standard OS9 boot
> process used only for IPL but not freed afterwards.  By using cocoboot
> to place the modules into ram (and possibly other initialization
> tasks), this code isn't needed and can be left out.
>
> -Aaron

Since the whole "boottrack" in front of what used to be os9p1, is in that
category, it would be very nice if that could be relegated to a small
program similar to boot/rel that did get freed and overwritten at some
point.  The os9p1/krn functions could then be merged into what is krn2
now, potentially saving some sysram we sorely need elsewhere.  Once krn
is entered to start building the various tables it needs in the
permanently allocated block 0, quite a bit of that could simply be
overwritten.

I am not sure of the implementation details, but it does seem to be a
good idea.

If Brett could elaborate on how cocoboot can accomplish this, its
certainly worth the try for a new Nitros9 V4.0, indicating a huge change
by the version number.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)