[Coco] OS-9 loading NEW WAY - J&R Banker 128/256k

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Apr 21 22:11:56 EDT 2015

Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Grubbs"

>>> been talking about. (I'd fund creating a board/kit if I had the money)
>>>
>>> Would probably make more sense to use the extra 64K as a RAM disk in NOS9 L1,
>>> but yeah, would be cool.
>>>
>> That is a good idea. When I do this mod to my CoCo2, I might try my hand at
>> writing the code necessary to enable this as a ram disk.
>>
> =====================
> I have an original 256k  J&B Banker in a CoCo 1.  One problem with it, and I
> assume it is a problem with the 128k version too, is that the OS-9 Boot file
> needs to be modified.  The NITROS9 boot simply does not work.  Someone will need
> to hack into the OS-9 code, figure out what the modification is and intigrate it
> into the NITROS9 boot.  The J&R Banker kit came with a program that you ran on
> your backup OS-9 boot disk and changed a couple bytes on the disk, but I have
> not figured out what module is affected, nor how.
> Bruce W.
>
> ---

There is a detailed article in "Hot CoCo", Sept, 1985, p28-31. Memory and Video
is selected by PEEKing addresses from $FFC0-$FFDF. There is little
correspondence with either the SAM or GIME hardware settings. That would make
the use of the J&R Banker with any version of OS-9 very difficult.

I'd guess that at the very least, the kernel would need to be rewritten as it
controls memory. Also all the video drivers would need rewriting to accommodate
video bank selection.

Robert