[Coco] OS-9 loading NEW WAY

Boisy Pitre coco at toughmac.com
Tue Apr 21 09:42:30 EDT 2015

> On Apr 21, 2015, at 9:33 AM, Brett Gordon <beretta42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My more-or-less normal installation of Nitros9 works fine with my
> partition tables. I just had to manually change my /dd descriptor to
> match the partition table's offset.  Boisy's Superdriver layer allows
> for a pre-filesystem offset.  It would be nice to modifiy SuperDriver
> to automagically read the partition table, though.   Another, "easy"
> way of allowing automatic Nitros9 configuration of hd partitions would
> be to have the booter (i.e. CoCoBoot)... make or mod the /dd and
> friends on-the-fly at boot (rather than loading them from OS9Boot ).

I would like to see a carefully designed plan for modifying LSN0 of an RBF device to handle partitions. In fact, I think it’s time for a newer RBF… XRBF… that would handle partitions natively and bring a number of other improvements (longer filenames possibly) to OS-9.

> Maybe the OP might have been refering to David Ladd's nitros9 ROM
> booter?  It's another "floppy-less" way of booting Nitros9, and a
> touch more traditional that my approach,   I think his work is
> somewhere in the Nitros Repo….

Errrr… David Ladd is a fine guy but the NitrOS-9 ROM Booter was my creation, not his.  I sold this through Cloud-9 for some years before giving it to the community in the form of open source (as I did with SuperDriver).

Let’s be careful about wrongly assigning credit. I know it wasn’t intentional on your part, and I’m not trying to toot my horn, but I firmly believe that work must be properly credited.