[Coco] Access to Double Sided Disks with standard Floppy Drives on the CoCo?

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Tue Apr 21 00:29:33 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Devries" <devries.bob at gmail.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Access to Double Sided Disks with standard Floppy Drives
on the CoCo?

> Steve,
> there's a drive table in the DECB ROM. It is:
>
> 01 02 04 40 (hexadecimal values here)
>
> Change to:
>
> 01 02 41 42
>
> Using the POKE command
>
> I can't remember the exact address, though. You can POKE the change if you
> have a Coco3 since that works in all-ram mode. It's a different story for
> Coco1 & 2.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia
>

> On 21/04/2015 1:54 PM, Steve Batson wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know of a program that lets you use the other side of a floppy as
>> another CoCo Drive? I used to have custom Disk Basic ROM, but that's long
>> gone when I sold that system. I have data on the other side of some of my
>> disks and don't know how to get to it. These are NOT Flippy Disks so
>> accessing them that way is not going to work.
>>

> --

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not

>From "Supplement to 500 Pokes Peeks 'N Execs for the TRS-80 Color Computer"
Page 16:

COMMAND: POKE 243,&HCC:POKE244,&H41:POKE 245,&H42:POKE 246,&HFD:POKE
247,&HD7:POKE 248,&HAC:POKE 249,57:EXEC 243

RESULT: Allows use of double sided disk drives

REMARKS: For Disk Basic 1.0.  Drive 2 becomes the other side of Drive 0,
Drive 3 the other side of Drive 1

Note: The 57 is straight from the book and is not lacking an &H.  Unless the
book made a mistake.  So if it doesn't work, add an &H to the 57 or change
it to decimal 87 and try that.