[Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Sun Apr 19 05:41:23 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett"
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 2:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

> On Sunday 19 April 2015 01:31:01 K. Pruitt wrote:

<snip>

>> > Version 1.0 of Zap is now available.
>> >
>> > The .dsk file containing the binary and the source file is located
>> > at:
>> >
>> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls4cw9br2u1w369/zap.dsk?oref=e
>> >
>> > and the assembly file alone in .txt format is located at:
>> >
>> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7od6d4zrvepl53/zap.asm?oref=e
>
> These files are not accessable to me on dropbox. I will not feed their
> spammers buy it list. They have non-members blocked, by a very bandwidth
> wasteful nethod. I would leave it running that way just to prove to
> dropbox how idiotic it is, but I am now being metered by shentel so the
> constant page reloads every 5 seconds would add to my bandwidth usage as
> well.

You can just close the login pop-up and it will let you download the files
then.

> If you would like to make them available to all, send them to me by pm
> and I will make a Zap subdir on my web page where anyone can download
> them.  That sort of bandwidth usage is very nominal, and I am nowhere
> near the 300Gb cap where they will start adding another tenner to my
> bill if I exceed it.  Last months usage was 68Gb for a reference point.
>
> =========

Will do, Gene.  Thanks.

Let me fiddle with the code some more to make sure my t's are crossed and my
i's are dotted and I'll send it to you.

> As a side advert here, the Cron_vE available on my web page could be
> combined to make a fully autonomous setup, by putting the zap commands
> into its Crontab.datamod (no on the minute disk access's that way), or
> into the /dd/sys/crontab file.  You would then have the same long term
> automatic functionality as if you were driving a CM11a interface, which
> has its own clock and memory you only have to update yearly with a heyu
> upload command on this box. Or you could write a vacation light schedule
> to make it look as if the lights were being turned on and off like
> someone would be doing if they were home, while you are fishing in the
> most famous bit of trout water on the planet, just 2 miles below the
> Navajo Dam on the San Juan River in New Mexico.
>
> I just updated the cron .txt and readme's on my web page.  The email
> addresses were a bit prehistoric.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Yes, using it with Cron is the way to go with the CM17A as it has no storage
capabilities like the CM11A or the Plug 'n Power controller.
That's a really great idea about bypassing the once-a-minute check in that
manner.

I think a software interface to the CM11A for the Coco is a real
possibility... though the RS-232 Pak lacks a Ring line which the CM11A uses.
But that could be corrected with a simple adapter I think.