[Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 19 05:16:06 EDT 2015

On Sunday 19 April 2015 01:31:01 K. Pruitt wrote:
> Here is some documentation for the Zap Utility.
>
> Command Options:

> zap <house><*><command>
> zap <house><unit><+ or ->
>
> Spaces are allowed between command components:
>    The command A1O turns on Unit 1 on House A, A 1 O does the same
> thing.
>
> Commands can be sent in upper or lowercase.
>    The command A1O turns on Unit 1 on House A, a1o does the same
> thing.

heyu is similarly not case sensitive, but does expect a space between
address and command.  Likewise for EzHome  for the amiga, which I
co-wrote with Jim Hines.  Both of these were using the CM11a, not the
CM17 Firecracker.

> Multiple Commands are allowed on the command line:
>    The command line: Zap A1O A5O B7F
>     Will turn On Units 1 and 5 on House A and Turn Off Unit 7 on House
>
> The House:  The X-10 Protocol supports 16 different "House" codes.
>             The "Houses" are designated as A through P
>
> The Unit:   The X-10 Protocol supports 16 different Unit codes.
>             The Units are designated as 1 through 16
>
> The Commands:
>
> On:         Turns the specified Unit on the specified House On
I assume this is the O in the command, and not an 0(zero)?
> Off:        Turns the specified Unit on the specified House Off
And that this is the F in the command?
> *           Turns all units on the specified House either On or Off
>
> +           Brightens the specified Unit on the specified House
>
>                Multiple + commands are required to take the Unit from
> its dimmest to its brightest.
>
> -           Dims the specified Unit on the specified House
>
>                Multiple - commands are required to take the Unit from
> its brightest to its dimmest.
>

> Congratulations!  You may now turn your very expensive Coco system in
> to a remote-control.  :)
>
> > Version 1.0 of Zap is now available.
> >
> > The .dsk file containing the binary and the source file is located
> > at:
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls4cw9br2u1w369/zap.dsk?oref=e
> >
> > and the assembly file alone in .txt format is located at:
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7od6d4zrvepl53/zap.asm?oref=e

These files are not accessable to me on dropbox. I will not feed their
spammers buy it list. They have non-members blocked, by a very bandwidth
wasteful nethod. I would leave it running that way just to prove to
dropbox how idiotic it is, but I am now being metered by shentel so the
constant page reloads every 5 seconds would add to my bandwidth usage as
well.

If you would like to make them available to all, send them to me by pm
and I will make a Zap subdir on my web page where anyone can download
them.  That sort of bandwidth usage is very nominal, and I am nowhere
near the 300Gb cap where they will start adding another tenner to my
bill if I exceed it.  Last months usage was 68Gb for a reference point.

=========

As a side advert here, the Cron_vE available on my web page could be
combined to make a fully autonomous setup, by putting the zap commands
into its Crontab.datamod (no on the minute disk access's that way), or
into the /dd/sys/crontab file.  You would then have the same long term
automatic functionality as if you were driving a CM11a interface, which
has its own clock and memory you only have to update yearly with a heyu
upload command on this box. Or you could write a vacation light schedule
to make it look as if the lights were being turned on and off like
someone would be doing if they were home, while you are fishing in the
most famous bit of trout water on the planet, just 2 miles below the
Navajo Dam on the San Juan River in New Mexico.

I just updated the cron .txt and readme's on my web page.  The email
addresses were a bit prehistoric.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)