[Coco] 64K Memory Test Program

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 17:15:42 EDT 2015

On Wed Apr 15 2015, Boisy Pitre wrote:

One thing that is puzzling… this is an E board CoCo 1. I cannot for the
> life of me find the cassette relay on the board. No clicking sound is made
> when togging the relay with MOTORON or MOTOROFF.

The early CoCo's (C, D & E rev) had reed relays, it is located near the
ports, looks like an elongated candy piece.

Those reed relays suffered (like all of their kind) of a minor annoyance
than on heavier loads than rated the contacts would "fuse" together
rendering the relay useless for any switching capacity. The F board came
with the more capable mechanical relay... the reassuring click :-)

The reed would fail if the recorder connected to the CoCo happened to have
its motor draw more inrush current than the relay could manage safely,
known to happen with off brand recorders.

-- RP