[Coco] My Windows Readme

Sun Apr 12 16:24:29 EDT 2015

Entering all the commands separated by semicolons in one line is a task not for fat fingers. That sounds like build with added semicolons. Need to make a change, start from the beginning. Just like Build.

I don't know if Datamod or SLED came first but I was hot on the trail of each version of ShellPlus. I was surprised yesterday that Datamod was only mentioned in passing in the ShellPlus. And that it was a separate download on RTSI. Building scripts like I did is a job for a full screen editor for sure. Datamod can handle those and did. The inability to pass variables to scripts packaged by Datamod is a shortcoming of very serious failure.

S. B. Goldberg may have built many fine utilities, IMHO cmdgen is not one of them as you describe. It is a reminder that OS-9 Level-I as delivered from Microware was very hard to use and it did not become friendly until I got SLED useable.

Delphi and CI$ had many great people writing and improving OS-9. I did not download everything, anything related to ShellPlus I sure did.

As I have almost a complete list of Delphi OS-9 and DECB files looking for cmdgen is a easy task after finding the list. (Someday)

At the bottom is some of his work found using the Rainbow text searchable index v1.pdf

Tree jumps out as one many people used. I think I was as upset as with MSDOS / Windows handling of long file names and was glad to see HDirect in Rainbow. It like many of the programs in Rainbow needed fixing to work and I added OS-9Bootfile printing as well as PAK and AR file contents.

Sort, I can one up him. At the request of a local CoCo software collector (Thief) I build K&R's SortMerge. He was not very happy when he go it as it was so slow. I had told him that all SortMerges were painfully slow. (Never released.)

As the DICTATOR position has been vacated by Tandy we have even less control over what each user thinks should be in NotrOS-9.

SHF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Pierce via Coco" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Cc: "Bill Pierce" <ooogalapasooo at aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2015 4:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] My Windows Readme

> Stephen, with all your knowledge, wisdom, and superior intelligence... 'cmdgen' is NOT some renamed shellscript or Microware's 'build' command renamed. It is a machine language program written by S. B. Goldberg and is one of the many 'Goldberg Utilities' uploaded to Delphi, which is where I got it from. Steve Goldberg wrote MANY fine utilities and modules for OS9, some of which were published in Rainbow and other publications as well as sold commercially.
>
> As for the 'Sleuth' X-disassembler... The one on Gene's site works. Whether it has the 6502 code or not, I can't say, but the original version is in the SWTPC files I linked to earlier but it is not 'Level 2' compatible (missing the L2 system calls) which is why Gene was working on his version (with the original author's permission). There is still a little work needed to be done on how it sets up the header variables, but still better than most of the OS9 disassemblers I've tried and I've tried about every one in all the archives.
>

> Bill Pierce

He was a busy beaver
Goldberg, Stephen B. "OS-9 spooler: print a file as
a background task." (December 1986) 183
SPOOLER (OS9)

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Help is on the way." (June
1988) 14 — Create online assistance for any
program. HELPMATE

Goldberg, Steve. "Parameter changes made easy."
(December 1988) 160 — Change disk drive
parameters. DMode; MakeDMode

Goldberg, Stephen. "Do the Split"; CoCo1 /CoCo2/CoCo3; March
1990, p.86. Making large files easier to handle. SPLIT.

Goldberg, Stephen. "Drive With Speed"; CoCo1/CoCo2/CoCo3;
February 1990, p.56. Double the speed of your OS-9 floppy
drives. VFY.C

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Append"; CoCo1/CoCo2/CoCo3; January
1991, p.68. A multi-purpose text-file utility. APPEND.ASM.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "For Your Eyes Only"; CoCo1/CoCo2/
CoCo3; July 1990, p.32. Logon protection for the single-user
OS-9 system. LOG.ASM.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Sort"; CoCo1/CoCo2/CoCo3; March 1991,
p.28. A utility to sort lines in text files. SORT.ASM.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Tree Grows in OS-9, A"; CoCo1/CoCo2/
CoCo3; February 1991, p.62. Print a directory tree for your
disks. TREE.ASM.

Goldberg Utilities, The"; December 1990, p.74.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Easy Display"; CoCo1/CoCo2/CoCo3;
October 1991, p.048. A display command that accepts decimal
numbers. DISPLAY ASM.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Lost and Found: An OS-9 File Finder';
CoCo1/CoCo2'CoCo3; March 1992, p.27. File find for the OS-
9 operating system. FIND.ASM.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Pretty-print OS-9 Source Code"; CoCo1/
CoCo2/CoCo3; June 1992, p.8. Columnarize OS-9 assembly
listings the easy way. PRETTY.ASM

Goldberg. Stephen B. "Vname Lets You Make the Call"; CoCo1/
CoCc2/CoCo3; Mav 1992, p.6. Change disk volume names
on the fly. VNAME.ASM.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Easy Display"; CoCo1/CoCo2/CoCo3;
October 1991, p.046. A display command that accepts decimal
numbers. DISPLAY.ASM.

Goldberg. Stephen B. "Lost and Found: An OS-9 File Finder";
CoCo1/CoCo2/CoCo3; March 1992, p.27. File find for the OS-
9 operating system. FIND.ASM.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Pretty-print OS-9 Source Code": CoCo1/
CoCo2/CoCo3; June 1992. p.8. Columnarize OS-9 assembly
listings the easy way. PRETTY.ASM.

Goldberg, Stephen B. "Vname Lets YOU Make the Call"; CoCo1/
CoCo2/CoCo3; May 1992
OS-9 Learns to Count
by Stephen Goldberg September 1992

GOLDBERG, STEPHEN DO THE SPLIT MAR 1990 86
GOLDBERG, STEPHEN DRIVE WITH SPEED FEB 1990 56
GOLDBERG, STEPHEN LOGON PROTECTION FOR OS-9 JUL 1990 32
GOLDBERG, STEPHEN OS-9 SPOOLER DEC 1986 183
GOLDBERT, STEPHEN MONITOR DIRECTORY GROWTH FEB 1991 62
GOLDBERG, STEPHEN MULTI-PURPOSE TEXT UTILITY JAN 1991 68
GOLDBERG, STEPHEN SORT MAR 1991 28