[Coco] 1 or 2 meg ?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 8 20:00:09 EDT 2015

On Wednesday 08 April 2015 19:44:31 K. Pruitt wrote:
> >> That yellow stuff looks to be double-sided tape?
> >>
> >> Regards, Bob Devries
> >> Dalby, QLD, Australia
> >
> > That's what I was thinking too, Bob.  Either that or just some sort
> > of vibration dampening material.  I would not feel comfortable using
> > something sticky on my GIME.  But perhaps some strong double-sided
> > adhesive to attach the fan to the RF box there would work, in
> > addition to the padding for the GIME.
>
> And just out of curiosity, for all the electrical guys out there, what
> would the impact of a slight, but constant, vibration of the fan be on
> the GIME? Would it increase the rate of oxidization due to the
> vibration allowing air between metal parts more easily, or would the
> vibration cause a lessening of oxidation due to the slight abrasive
> action of the pins vibrating against the socket?

If anything, it might enhance the rate at which its thermal motions would
cause it to rise in the socket, + higher rates of air flow would enhance
the contact oxidation rate if temps were the same, but cooler temps
would offset that and make it moot.  Its probably best to keep a "PLCC"
puller handy, pull it, clean and reseat it annually.  Please note that
one corner looks as if it has a ground off point about 1/16" wide, this
is the key that must match the corner of the socket with a small flat
instead of a sharp point when putting it back in.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)