[Coco] usb printers on a coco

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 5 05:10:37 EDT 2015

On Sunday 05 April 2015 01:48:29 Josh Harper via Coco wrote:
>  hi guys
> I used to do lots of printing with my dmp-105 printers but due to the
> ribbons being unavailable these days the 105 is prett useless most of
> my software the printed worked on the dmp-105
> what I need to know is there any  dmp out there that will work that
> the ribbons can be gotten for or better yet has anyone been able to
> get a usb printer to work on the coco maybe a new project
> usb printer adapter that emulates a dmp=105 to keep it compatable with
> all coco printing software any ideas
> thanks guys

Josh, I haven't a clue how that can be done from DECB.

But IF:
you are running nitros9 full time
you are using drivewire
you are running the dw jar on a linux machine
THEN:
put the drivewire versions of p.dd and its matching driver in your
bootfile.

do "list filename >/p" on the coco.  The file is sent to drivewire, which
will know its a print file, and store it wherever you have dw configured
to store it.  Either as plain text, or as a .png image made using the
FX-80 emulation.

My web page has some utilities that can drive ANY printer that the Linux
PC with CUPS can drive, either as normal printers, or if you are in love
with the FX-80 emulation in driverwire.jar, then either one can drive
any printer that "cups" can run, and thats several thousand variations.

For printouts on my coco, I have a brother HL-2140 printer, (replace the
1 with a 2 or wild card it today, the printer hasn't changed that much
in years), costs about $110 new for a B&W Laser printer. It prints
beautiful text with no dot-matrix klunkyness or "is that an el or a one"
questions, at 19 pages a minute. Single sided of course on that printer.
Landscape mode if you like to keep your assembly comments intact.
100x prettier output, 40x faster than any dwp ever dreamed of being.

Whats not to like?  Bring your coco's output into the 21st century.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)