[Coco] A question for all you hardware hackers out there...

Camillus Blockx camillus.b.58 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 12:21:06 EDT 2014

Hi, Tim

A quick look on the web with google told me that there are no sockets around for that kind of carrier. So in case there are no substitudes for the chip you are using, in a different case, then the only option is to do the soldering yourself or give it out to the proffesionels. Now QFP devices are a bit easier to solder then the BGA. This because te leads are visible with the QFP. The BGA is more like guessing because the dots ( ballgrid) is not visible.

Being that said, it is not so diffcult to solder QFP, a focused heat source, from blowheater, or even a high wattage infrared or halogen bulb will sufice. I myself used a blower, but having a project to use 75 watt 12 volt spots. Then you also need solder paste, or a good solder with resin. It would also be a good idea to soldermask your pcb, so the solder would easily and fast bind to the litle surface islands. If that is all done it is just a matter of place the chip on top the presoldered islands, line it up verry securely, lay a piece of heavy metal ( copper or iron) on top of the chip, check allignment and heat the leads evenly ( circle around the chip). With the 75 watt spot it is just a matter of waiting until the heat reaches the meltingpoint of the solder.

If you can tell me the part number of the FPGA you use then I can buy one and do a test.

Hope this helps you.

camillus