[Coco] other use for fpga rgb converter

Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:19:24 EDT 2014

Hi,

Sorry I don't have a IIgs. But it should work.

I'm finishing the board in eagle to be used with the Altera DE0-Nano. It
will include a RCA for the composite video, a coco3 rgb connector and a
generic RGB IN for CSync in an VGA connector. So if your computer has
separate hsync/vsync you should use the COCO3 port, if it has CSync you use
the RGB IN. And the RCA for Apple ii.

I won't be able to use cheap altera boards from ebay because they don't
have a 16-bit SDRAM.

I am very limited on the choice of alteras, it must be Altera Cyclone IV. I
tried compiling for Altera II or III but it was a no-go for the PLL. Cannot
change the PLL speed. So I must stick the the cyclone IV. The cheapest
cyclone IV on ebay costs around 30 dollars. Adding a SDRAM would increase
the price to 10 dollars (plus the work soldering these small legs).

For 79 you buy an DE0 Nano development. Also it has way more quality. Also
my PCB won't have any SMD so it can be assembled by any one with a cheap
soldering iron.

And honestly I don't want to expend money buying a board that would may not
work, doing more prototypes, etc. I have already spent too much money on
retro computing so now I'm very low profile.

The problem with my board is that switching from one computer to another
you need to fine tune the variable resistors. So it's not a plug and play
solution, you should keep it for one computer.

I would need a help for any engineer with video expertise, how do I
normalize different video voltages ?

Should I use transistors ?

Luis Felipe Antoniosi