[Coco] vcc and WIDTH command when using HDB-DOS

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:29:43 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Nick Marentes wrote:
> On 28/10/2014 6:35 AM, Tormod Volden wrote:
>>
>> Now for Vcc, it is closed-source software, so is quite funny that Nick
>> uses this thread to bad-mouth open-source software. Vcc is a prime
>> example of the problems with closed-source software.
>>
>> Tormod
>>

> Hey! Woa there cowboy!
>
> "bad-mouth"?
>
> A bit of over interpretation there! I love open source... if done correctly.

You mentioned the probl* word in the same phrase as open-source, no
wonder I jump on the horseback!

> I know of several disaster stories about open source!

No really? Surely because it was open-source!

> There is always a good and bad side to everything. Just because I said
> something negative about it doesn't mean there are no positives. As Aaron

That was very humble of you :p

> has pointed out (and I mentioned in the part you ignored) distribution is a
> primary problem with open source (well, any software really).

Yes, distribution and lack of communication is the problem we're
talking about. But again, you write "primary problem with open source"
instead of writing "primary problem with software". Back-pedaling in
parentheses is observed, but I still can't believe you didn't
backspace instead.

A problem (oh noes now /I/ said it) with some non-sponsored free-time
open-source projects is that there often is no communication and
documentation department. The technically able spend all their time on
the source code, and think the rest can be done by the less
technically able. But there is not much "middle-class" and it is not
easy to write good documentation if you don't know the topic 100%. It
is not a well-rewarded task either, the users take it for granted
(while the code writers are heroes), and the code writers don't always
communicate so clearly their gratitude for such contributions, so to
say.

Tormod