[Coco] NitrOS-9 L3 Code and Disk Images

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Oct 26 13:40:43 EDT 2014

Gene, that's awsome! I never noticed te L3 conditionals in the sources.
But I think you're still going to have to modify "krn" and possibly "krnp2".
According to Alan's doc, OS9P1 (now krn) looks for the "NITROS9" module. Here is an excerp from the doc:

---

  When booting OS-9, the startup routine inOS9p1 calls the Boot module to
load inthe OS9Boot file.  OS9p1 then looks for amodule named 'NitrOS9
as theFIRST module of the OS9Boot file.  If itexists, that module is called
BEFOREverifying the OS9Boot file.

  The NitrOS9 module allocates memory, andmoves the SCF modules (up to
the_end module) into 'SCF local memory', and verifies the modules.  The
sameprocedure is followed for RBF modules, and when I get the chance later,
forPipeMan and SBF modules.

  Extra memory is allocated in 16k chunks, andmapped into address $2000
to$5FFF of the system map.  An 'smap' willshow you that this memory is
allocated.

  IOMan intercepts EVERY system call, and EVERYrequest/return system call.
Anymodule inside 'local memory' asking for system RAM gets allocated
RAMfrom that local memory.  Any module in'system global memory' asking
for systemRAM gets allocated RAM from the global memory pool.

---

From what I'm seeing, for the special modules to load, krn needs to know about them.
I have copies of the original L3 "os9p1.l3", "os9p2.l3", "clock.l3", and "ioman.l3".
Since you are more knowledgable about how the system files work, you may be able to disassemble the os9p1 and os9p2 to see what was done.
I also have another disk image with "ALL" the L3 files on it but it seems to have gotten messed up somehow or in a different format. I plan to use a hex editor to extract the files as the files seem to be intact, just the "empty space" padding which is usually "0" on an OS9 disk was somehow replaced with all "0xE5"s. I have several disk images like this... they are also one byte shorter than a normal 40trk, dsdd disk image. As I said, I think I can extract the files. it has all the various "clock" incarnations as well as the other L3 files and may even have an intact bootfile.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com