[Coco] NitrOS-9 L3 Code and Disk Images

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Oct 26 12:55:38 EDT 2014

On Thursday 23 October 2014 17:01:04 Bill Pierce via Coco did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Tormod, I sent you a private email concerning Nitros9 level 3
> yesterday. I think it got screwed in the process so I'll send it
> again. And yes, there was a working Level 3 at one point, but Alan
> took it with him when he left us. Unless Kip had a copy from Alan's
> old website, I don't see how he could've run it. It was only available
> for Nitros9 L2 v1.2.2. The level 3 that Alan was working on was based
> on code from Nitros9 L2 v1.22 (yes, that old), which was still being
> sold by Northern Exposure at the time. They at one point announced
> they "may" provide the Level 3 upgrade if enough people showed
> interest. I don't think they ever actually released it. Alan did have
> it available on his website later.
>

> The Level 3 code in the repo is missing 4 important files and WILL NOT
> run without them. These files are "IOMan.L3", "OS9P1.L3" (now named
> Krn), "OS9p2.L3" (now named KrnP2), and "Clock.L3" (now split into 2
> modules). These files have gone through many changes since Nitros9 l2
> v1.22 and the original L3 files will have to be disassembled and the
> newer modules reworked to do what these modules intended for L3.
> Again... Level 3 WILL NOT WORK without these modules, and I'm NOT
> referring to the current build of these modules as Alan did special
> versions of each one. They were not the same modules as in Nitros9 l2
> v1.2.2.

ioman.asm in the level2 modules directory, is, as of edition 13r5,
conditionalized to build level3 if the makefile specifies it.  So IOMan.L3
isn't missing, just hard to identify. What is currently being built,
located in the modules/sysmods directory after the build, is ed 13 rev 5,
and looks like this to vfy:
{t2|08}/X0/NITROS9/6309L3/MODULES:vfy sysmods/ioman
Length of file: $000009AF

Module found at offset $00000000 in this file
Header for    : IOMan
Header parity : $5A (good)
Module size   : $09AF
Edition       : $0D
Ty/La At/Rv   : $C1   $85
System module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
Exec. off     : $0013
Data Size     : $0000
Module CRC is : $08FDCC (good)

Bytes read    : $000009AF

Similarly the level2 6309 version reports:
{t2|08}/X1/NITROS9/6309L2/MODULES/SYSMODS:vfy ioman
Length of file: $00000916

Module found at offset $00000000 in this file
Header for    : IOMan
Header parity : $E3 (good)
Module size   : $0916
Edition       : $0D
Ty/La At/Rv   : $C1   $85
System module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
Exec. off     : $0013
Data Size     : $0000
Module CRC is : $0E58CA (good)

Bytes read    : $00000916

Shorter because the L3 stuff isn't being built in the level2 tree.

So is clock.asm, same makefile caveat.

Length of file: $00000205

Module found at offset $00000000 in this file
Header for    : Clock
Header parity : $FB (good)
Module size   : $0205
Edition       : $09
Ty/La At/Rv   : $C1   $85
System module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
Exec. off     : $019A
Data Size     : $0000
Module CRC is : $972B38 (good)

Bytes read    : $00000205

For the level 2 clock
{t2|08}/X1/NITROS9/6309L2/MODULES/CLOCKS: vfy
/x0/nitros9/6309L3/modules/clocks/clock_60hz
Length of file: $00000274

Module found at offset $00000000 in this file
Header for    : Clock
Header parity : $8A (good)
Module size   : $0274
Edition       : $09
Ty/La At/Rv   : $C1   $85
System module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
Exec. off     : $0209
Data Size     : $0000
Module CRC is : $3F2F24 (good)

Bytes read    : $00000274

For the level 3 clock

So until I know better, I am chasing other gremlins.

The krn and krn2 have also had some changes, but I don't think they are
level specific for more than level2, and should be just fine for level3.

The level2 modules versions of most of these things has been
"conditionalized" to build level3 versions if the makefile does its part.

It may be that the conditional tests syntax may have to be refined to suit
lwasm yet.  But it is being worked on.  But I believe the diffs shown
above are telling me its working.

So, I think we are getting closer.

> I think Kip may have been running a release of Nitros9 L2 v3.0.0 as
> I've seen it in several archives labeled as "L3" which is incorrect.
> It's just L2 v3.0.0,
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

> Co-Webmaster of The TRS-80 Color Computer Archive
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)