[Coco] Plague to DW users ?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 22 20:49:34 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 22 October 2014 20:29:06 Salvador Garcia did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Just wow! Not supporting counterfeiting, but the referenced article
> mentions that the work-alikes are vastly different on the inside, so
> these are not technically "clones". "Counterfeit" could apply if these
> work-alikes are being sold as if they were the real deal. Still, to
> brick someone's PC just because of these chips is just wrong.

They are NOT bricking the PC, just the counterfeit adapter.

> As the
> article also says, lots of people don't know that they have these
> chips and frankly, I suspect that most don't care. I never really
> thought about the origins of my computer's. Components. Right now I
> have a Mini ITX server that is bricked because the motherboard's
> manufacturer used cheap capacitors and a few inflated. I have not been
> able to repair that PC (admitting that I really have not given it the
> attention that it deserves). . Salvador

That capacitor problem is near a decade old by now.  I wouldn't waste the
time unless you need something for one of your children.  And I am a CET,
at least as well equipt to do that as most any makers shop.>

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)