[Coco] I am back to not being able to format a floppy, help plz

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 22 10:59:21 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 22 October 2014 10:30:33 Robert Gault did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > If you have a nitros9 l2 system that can format a floppy without
> > locking up, I need to see the smap, vfy -x format, and ident -m
> > rb1773 outputs.
>
> Gene,
>
> I just downloaded from SourceForge the latest 3.3.0 6809L2 and 6309L2
> 80d disks for test purposes. I have no problems formatting floppies
> using MESS with the default values for /D1.

Humm, my script does an hg pull.  Has it been moved and what I got
yesterday is ancient?  That portion of my script is:

mv nitros9 nitros9-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9
cd nitros9
hg update lwtools-port # this step is temporarily needed
export NITROS9DIR=$PWD
mkdir dsks # this step is temporarily needed
make dsk
make dskcopy
cd ..
chown -R gene:www-data nitros9

What is wrong with that?

> That being said nothing matches the info you supplied.

Nothing? I must have got stoned and missed it. :(

This is a real coco3, 1987 gime.  Real hardware IOW. With a 63c09 cpu, and
a disto 2 meg ram kit.

> 6809
> rb1773 size $5A9 crc $A4EB50
> smap has 96 free pages and 24 free Kb
> MESS was set for 128K RAM
>
> 6309
> rb1773 size $59D crc $FBAA3C
> smap has 98 free pages and 24 free Kb
> MESS was set for 128K RAM

Thats a much much smaller rb1773!

> You have not said what you are using, a real Coco or emulator. The most
> recent MESS will not format floppies.
>
> PS "You can call me anything you like except late for dinner." However
> the last name is Gault not Gould. :)
>
> Robert

Oh fudge.  My apologies Mr. Gault, I'll take 10 lashes.

And thank you if you can correct my script above to get 3.3.0 stuff.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)