[Coco] Need help repairing a CoCo 2

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 16 12:11:52 EDT 2014

On Thursday 16 October 2014 08:20:20 Francis Swygert did opine
And Gene did reply:
> find "Tandy's Little Wonder" and download that. It has a quick repair
> guide that covers just about everything a hobbyist with some soldering
> skills can repair with nothing more than a soldering iron and
> multimeter. Has some schematics, but they didn't translate to PDF very
> well and re hard to read.
>

> In your case, before I replaced the 6809 I'd pull the RAM chips then
> put them back in the sockets.

But before I'd put them back in the sockets, I would give them a 5 to 10
minute soak in "Tarnex" a silverware brightener.  Probably available at
your local grocery store in 8 or 16 ox black plastic bottle.

Then, still in the coffee cup used to hold enough tarnex to cover them,
pour the tarnex into another container for re-use later, the  run about a
gallon of hot tap water over the cup to rinse them well, spread on a bath
towel and blow dry from about a foot away.  You'll get nice bright & easy
electrical contact chip legs that will be years before you have to repeat
the cleanup.

> The pins get a little corrosion on them
> over time and just pulling and putting back in will solve that issue.
> Your problem is more likely to be a blown 6809, but won't hurt to try
> the easy way first.
>

> Frank Swygert
> Publisher, "American Motors Cars"
> Magazine (AMC)