[Coco] Including an SSC

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 11 18:59:01 EDT 2014

On 12/10/2014 8:48 AM, S Klammer wrote:
> With all due respect Al, I would tend to disagree with 1, 3 and 4.  As for
> 2, how many months has in been since Darren's last production run and this
> one - which has materialized in a matter of days?
>
> It is now a moot point.  Those who suggested some additional ideas, like
> adding a SSC or even just an onboard expansion port will have to look
> elsewhere... oh well, we tried.
>
> Nick, in terms of connections... I wonder if the cassette port might be
> utilized?  Like the X10 module.  In this way there would be no tinkering
> involved, no Multi-pak needed and the audio feed into the coco is there.

I have given thought to a serial based "sound card" utilizing a
microcontroller. The sample data would be sent to the microcontroller's
RAM and then playback selected by sending a byte (a nibble would
suffice, 16 samples is heaps) and sending the audio throught to the
cassette.

I guess comms can happen via the cassette port to keep the connections
to 1 cable. Power may need to be via a battery.

I should go back and give it a rethink using the Teensey as a base. It
may be do'able.

Nick