[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 142, Issue 41

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Oct 11 12:48:06 EDT 2014

Yeah, I remember seeing one of those too, but as a kid never really
thought about it (and never had a problem with my multi-pak and coco
separating while powered - I guess I got lucky?).

As an adult, I later learned about this issue, and the plate, and
researched it a bit; I found the plate advertisement - but I seem to
recall finding in one of the back-issues of the Rainbow an article on
how to make such a plate. Maybe I am confused, but I thought maybe it
was just one of Marty or Tony columns (turn of the screw, etc)? Or,
maybe it was a reader submitted article?

At any rate, such a plate should be easy to make. For a modest home-shop
based creation, your idea of masonite (hardboard?) or thin mdf would
work well. Heck, maybe even hobby-grade thin plywood might work ok (I
would say to also prime/seal it after construction and fitment, just to
prevent warping/swelling). If you have a drill-press (for the holes),
you could make it from aluminium sheet metal.

I couldn't tell you what issue I thought I saw the plans/measurements
in, or I may be completely wrong. I would also wonder if there might be
a difference in measurements between the various models of the
multi-paks? I seem to recall there was an original grey-case version,
then the later white-case version for the later CoCo 2, then after the
CoCo 3 came out (and the B model of the 2?) there was a slightly smaller
version made (?).

--
Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona