[Coco] SSC discussion

jmlaw at iprimus.com.au jmlaw at iprimus.com.au
Fri Oct 10 22:21:27 EDT 2014

Brian Blake wrote:

>Well, there is that feature, and I honestly don't know, but, how does it
>compare to the Orchestra 90? Didn't someone say the SSC is CPU heavy?

Only if you wish to manipulate the tones at a high rate to generate complex
sounds. For background music you just set the tone value and amplitude and
it plays continuously (depends on the envelop setting of course).

So you only need to adjust the amplitude or tone once per frame, less often
if you choose. Very little CPU overhead for background msuic like NES games.

The SSC isn’t actually that easy to use for complex sounds. It can be
updated frequently to almost behave as a DAC would. But then we have a
built-in 6-bit DAC or Orch-90 (2x 8-bit DACs). Though an all-in-one AY/DAC
combo would be even cooler :)

Forgive me if someone else has already replied to this, I only get the daily
digest updates.

Jason