[Coco] SSC discussion

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 20:47:42 EDT 2014

Way back when Cris Egger still had the CoCo Hut website going,  I was
working on an article for the website and Mary's now defunct e-zine,
comparing the Ti-99/4a to the CoCo line.

It was a fairly in depth article that was starting to expand to a few other
systems, when it came to comparing speech packs. The hardware I had on hand
was the CoCo line and SSC, and the Ti and is speech adapter.

The Ti speech pack soundly trounced the CoCo unit - badly - in the
comparison. So much so, that I put the SSC back in its package and played
Parsec for a few days. The sampled voices on Sundog Systems Sinistaar was
far better than anything I could get out of the SSC.

I've got a Real Talker cart I haven't been able to test yet, and I'd like
to see what some of the other CoCo speech carts can do. To me, the SSC has
its place - in a package on a collectors shelf, never to be duplicated in
new hardware.

If course this might just be the ramblings of my cynical side....

Brian