[Coco] Including an SSC (was: CocoSDC)

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 10 16:05:21 EDT 2014

I've asked Darren some time ago if he could add code to the SDC to allow
the use of the already included microcontrollers for sound.

And while it technically could do it, he said that he had used up all
the available I/O pins for the SDC itself.

I would have liked to see some way of having a header included that
could allow a daughter board add-on that contains another
microcontroller with RAM of it's own for storing and playing sound samples.

The idea is that software would load various digital samples into the
controller's memory and then simply tell the controller which sample to
play. The sound would play with no 6809 CPU intervention and it would be
mixed in with the existing 6-bit CoCo sound via the SND connection of
the CoCo bus... just like the SSC.

Unfortunately, looking at the CoCoSDC, when mounted into a FD502 disk
controller case (as mine is), there is very little room for any
daughterboard in there.   :(

Nick