[Coco] The next coco3.....wish list

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 4 20:06:02 EDT 2014

On 5/10/2014 11:57 AM, farna at amc-mag.com wrote:
> I don't think you could build a ready to run board with all the needed
> peripherals for $50. A bare board and most components, maybe. But even at
> $100-150 if should be a go if it's ready to run, maybe just add the ROM
> code to avoid any copyright issues -- though I doubt anyone would pursue
> copying the ROM code from such an ancient machine on such a small scale.
> The DE-1 is only $199 though, and doesn't need much added to it. That's
> half the cost of the original 16K CoCo1... back when $1 was worth a lot
> more!
>
> So maybe all we need is a step-by-step instruction sheet on getting one up
> and going. I won't be buying one, an emulator serves for the little I play
> with, but when I win a multi-million dollar lottery I'll contract with
> someone to build a CoCo4...

Really, $199 is cheap for a DE1 based CoCo3/4.

We have a CoCo3 with a faster clock speed, more color capability, built
in VGA scandoubler, SD Drive access, PC keyboard capability.

So really, it's much less than half the cost of a CoCo3 with these
options added.

The problem is that the core is incomplete.

(And remember there are other cores out there too and you have a full
FPGA development system)

Nick