[Coco] The next coco3.....wish list

farna at amc-mag.com farna at amc-mag.com
Sat Oct 4 20:57:43 EDT 2014

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 18:35:38 -0400
From: "Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus)" <retrocanada76 at gmail.com>

But an altera DE-1 is too expensive.

A board like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERA-FPGA-Cyclone-II-EP2C5T144-Minimum-System-Development-Board-/201070505640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed0bc6ea8

Adding a daughter board composed of: SRAM, VGA connector, RCA for sound and
USB connector would be cheap to produce. We can even add coco real slot on
it by adding a buffer. Or it could be an extra board.

Then we could certainly have something around 50 dollars. maybe a little
more maybe littel less.

I don't think you could build a ready to run board with all the needed
peripherals for $50. A bare board and most components, maybe. But even at
$100-150 if should be a go if it's ready to run, maybe just add the ROM
code to avoid any copyright issues -- though I doubt anyone would pursue
copying the ROM code from such an ancient machine on such a small scale.
The DE-1 is only $199 though, and doesn't need much added to it. That's
half the cost of the original 16K CoCo1... back when $1 was worth a lot
more!

So maybe all we need is a step-by-step instruction sheet on getting one up
and going. I won't be buying one, an emulator serves for the little I play
with, but when I win a multi-million dollar lottery I'll contract with
someone to build a CoCo4...