[Coco] The Ultimate MShell Video

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 11:49:12 EST 2014

Gene,
MShell uses pipes to relay the menu & message cmds to the graphics handler which runs in it's own 64k. The cmds used are "custom" escape sequences and not the normal OS9 graphics calls since MShell does not use OS9 graphics calls. These are sent through the pipe using standard "printf" in C. The graphics handler allocates 16k of it's workspace to "draw" it's graphics and the copies to the actual screen via get/puts, so this would probably hamper a "terminal" version even if the terminal handles graphics (??).

I've never used dw4 as a terminal, so I don't know how it handles graphics. MShell creates it's own window and does not run in the window it's called from, so I would imagine that would throw a gorilla wrench in the terminal's gears since (from what I understand) the terminal runs in a dw4 "/term".
If I knew more about who dw4's terminal windows worked, there "may" be a way to create an option for it, but it would have to be 640x192 type5 compatable. I could possibly alter the code that creates the window to use the "/term" instead and to just switch the the window type. Since the "auto config" that runs on first run is done "after" the window is set, this would probably have to be a command line option, which for now, there are none. I already have code in place to handle cmd line options if I ever needed them.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com