[Coco] The Ultimate MShell Video

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 01:12:13 EST 2014

Cool beans Bill, I'm glad to hear someone's using MShell the way I meant for it to be used.
I use it to update my updater site. I recently move my updater files to dropbox. Dropbox allows you to have a local copy on your hard drive and anything added to it, is automatically uploaded. So when I have an update for MShell ready on my Coco, I just copy the files from the Coco to the PC dropbox folder from MShell and the site is updated :-)
I'm really interested to see how the Level 3 code pans out. I see how it could be useful in having more system memory. I origiannly had MShell keeping it's modules in memory to vut down on drive access, but it started using too much system memory so I stopped.
I used the NMLoad system calls to do this as NMLoad will load a module(s) into memory without asigning data space. This saves memory in keeping those modules in memory.
The way it works is when a module is call in MShell, MShell tries to "link" the module first. If the module cannot be linked from memory, it then uses the nmload call to load the module, then links it. This way, the modules resides in memory with no data space until linked, then when linked, it's pulled into the workspace and data space assigned. Being double linked, when it is done, it remains in system memory unti MShell exits in MShell unloads all it's modules.
Doing it this was, the module only loaded from disk once, then would be witing in memory if I needed it again.
The only module in MShell that does this now is Ms1S which is the sub that switches the panels and draws the borders and prints the listings etc. If it had to load from disk each time it was used, the disk would stay spinning all the time.
When running MShell, if you do an "mdir" you will see "MShell", "MS1Grf", and "Ms1S". Ms1Grf is the graphics shell that runs in it's own 64 all the time. It sleeps until something needs to be printed or drawn. It wakes on the pipe signal from MShell or the subs, does it's job then sleeps again.
If you just do a "PMap", you will only see MShell and Ms1Grf as Ms1S is just sitting in system memory until iut called. When it's linked, it resides in an 8k bloc in MShell's 64k and shares the globals and direct page with mshell.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com