[Coco] Drivewire

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 22:58:46 EST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Gault
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:52 PM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] Drivewire

Steve Ostrom wrote:
>Thanks Bob and Robert for your replies.  Could either of you (or other Coco
>experts on this list) suggest a procedure I could try?  It's been a few
>years since I had my DW3 connected to the 512K Coco.  I would not mind
>copying file by file from SCSI HD to DW3 (that's the only DW I have ever
>tried before). Once I get this to work, I'll try to automate the process
>with an ML program.
  >I just need a few pointers to start the process. Thanks!

Steve,

You will need to install on your SCSI drive the driver and descriptors for
Drivewire. You will also need a serial cable between your Coco and your PC.

There should be details for creating the necessary cable somewhere. The
driver
and descriptors can be obtained from the NitrOS-9 project. You don't
immediately
need to create a new OS9Boot file. For test purposes you can merge from a
coco3
or coco3_6309 disk:
merge rbdw.dr dwio.sb x0.dd >DWdrive

All the files and the new one should have attributes e and pe set. Boot on
your
SCSI, load DWdrive, and try to read a drive mounted in DW3 or DW4 slot 0.

While it is best to have the driver set in OS9Boot, I've done the above and
it
works.

Robert