[Coco] creaate blank vhd file

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Nov 20 20:37:36 EST 2014

Bob Devries wrote:
> I'm sure I did have the details of how to create a blank VHD file, but can't
> locate it.
>
> Can someone point me to the instructions?
>
> I want to create a VHD of 128MiB, which should, if memory serves, have $7FF80
> 256-byte sectors under NitrOS9.
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

Bob,

Sounds like you want a .vhd which can be used with the emulators JVC, MESS, and
VCC. It would have $5A000 OS-9 sectors and 256 * 35-track Basic drives of 630
sectors each. Total would be $5A000+35*18*256=$81600 sectors.

There are several ways of creating these blank.vhd drives and I believe you can
also find them on
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
The simplest method is to create a zero byte file named say Blank.vhd , mount
this in VCC or MESS, and start emulation with an RGBDOS rom. Then enter
DSKINI255
which will fill the last Basic drive with $FF while filling everything else with
$00. That's not a true blank drive but will compress nicely with any archive
program.

Of course you could use a PC program capable of creating a file of any size and
filling it with a single value, say $00.

Robert