[Coco] MShell Update - Even Newer Version

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 17:55:59 EST 2014

Robert, I don't quite get what you're asking.
Nick was having problems running MShell from an 80trk repo disk with the MShell files copied to it. With the NITROS9 (boot modules dir) directory on an 80trk disk, there is not much room. Nick, being an OS9 newbie, just copied the files to the disk and didn't realize that 2 of the files didn't make it because the disk was full.
After I deleted the NITROS9 dir to make room, and recopied the MShell files, it ran fine. But one BIG directory read would crash that due to no disk space to write the temp file during the dir read. The PC dir read uses this and PC dirs can be HUGE when you factor in long filenames and lots of them.
The safe thing is to install MShell on an HD/VHD.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use MShell from floppy unless they ONLY use floppies and have no plans to read PC directories or copy PC files.
MShell was intended as a file manager in the sense of keeping a hard drive system "managable" and to have the ability to move files to and from OS9, RSDOS and the DW4 server's host dirves.
Not to mention, this is just the first module set. There's more to come. Once this thing grows as large as I hope it does, just the MShell files alone would not even fit on an 80trk 720k disk :-)

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com