[Coco] DWTCPDevice cannot be cast to DWSerialDevice

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 17 10:30:48 EST 2014

On Monday 17 November 2014 10:04:19 Aaron Wolfe did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Drivewire uses the standard *major.minor**[.build[.revision]]* version
> system.
>
> 4 is the major, 3 is the minor, 3 is the build, and O is the revision.
> The previous revision was N.  The next would be P.
>
> 4.3.3O is the current version.
>
> I think there has been confusion because an O on a Coco VDG screen
> looks like a zero if you aren't too familiar with the character set,
> and the about screen in DW uses a VDG screen to display the version.
>
> The version is also displayed on the console when the server starts, in
> the log file, on the GUI screen at startup if you are viewing the
> command screen, during the "check for new version" wizard, and can be
> displayed any time from GUI or the CoCo in OS9 using the DW command.
> All of these would probably use a less ambiguous font for the letter
> O.

Lowercase would reduce the confusion that seems to reign supreme :)

That said, my current os9boot file has a 4 pack of both /N and /Z
descriptors, and I can do a "shell -i=/n# &" or a "shell -i=/z# &"
without reported errors, getting only the process number as a return, and
a "proc" then shows them too, but no green screen is created on this
machine.

This did work, albeit the screen was not that usable due to lack of
keyboard translations between this keyboard and the emulation of a coco
keyboard.  Specifically the lack of the vertical tab that tsedit/vi/vim
uses to indicate it is in the edit mode by opening up a space to insert
more text, then when the break key should close it back up and prepare it
for a :wq on the cli.

But it hasn't been able to open that green screen (perms? no clue, no
error log that I can find) in several months, possibly even going back to
when I did the last successful auto update.  Is this something that I may
have disabled in the .xml file?

How can I trace this failure to its cause?

> On Nov 17, 2014 9:51 AM, "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 17 November 2014 08:32:26 Jens did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:
> > >
> > > Yes, i see it now that Help/About print 4.3.3o and not 4.3.30 ;)
> > > Sorry...
> >
> > Mine does print 4.3.30 06/21/2013, but no new version is available
> > when I have it check, and FWIW, that response is reported, IMO,
> > faster than it could possibly go online and check...
> >
> > So, is there, or is there not a newer version than 4.3.30?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --

> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > US V Castleman, SCOTUS, Mar 2014 is grounds for Impeaching SCOTUS
> >
> > --

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)