[Coco] Basic Lisp

Richard E Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Fri Nov 14 11:38:41 EST 2014

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:46:15 +0200
J Arcane <jarcane at gmail.com> wrote:

> The lambda is the anonymous function; basically the building block of
> the math on which Lisp is based, but also seriously handy because it
> allows you to define functions on the fly and even store them in
> variables (all functions can be stored and passed as values in Lisp).
> Perhaps one of the more ludicrous examples of this I've ever coded
> personally was a virtual machine where the functions to simulate the
> opcodes were actually stored in the same hash-table that referenced
> them!
>
><snip>

Thank you for trying to explain it to me. Looks like I'll have to do
some research on this. I was especially interested in this because I
recently ran across it and what I read on Wikipedia left me in a fog
too. This is by no means a judgment on your explanation, it is a
judgment on my ignorance. Believe it or not, I ran across it in a text
I was teaching <sigh>. Fortunately I did not have to dwell on it, but I
HATE chewing muffins in front of students 8-S.

Thanks again

Richard