[Coco] CoCo and Multitasking

Johann Klasek johann+coco at klasek.at
Sun Nov 9 14:16:04 EST 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 07:21:28PM +0000, davidlinsley at gmail.com wrote:

> Back in ???93 I wrote my UK ???high school??? CS project in BasicO9
> running on Level 1 on my Dragon 64. To print screen shots for my report
> I had another task running that checked for the button on both joysticks
> being pressed, and then it would dump the screen to an Epson FX-80
> compatible printer. At the same time the current user could continue
> using the program while a second user all used in from a terminal
> emulator connected to the Dragon???s serial port. I got good marks for
> that :)

I have a story, too.
In the late eighties I was involved in a OS-9 Level 1 project. It was
full multitasking system and office solution for Telex comunication. On
the backend multiple Telex devices (55 baud was not that great challenge
;) ) with spooling for sending and receiving in parallel. The frontends
were terminals (electric typewriter terminals, usually without an CRT
screen). I admit, the large system was multiprocessor based (two level 1
systems connected over a shared RAM card (GESPAC based backplane bus
system). Even the smaller one (single CPU system), did a good
(multitasking) job with 1 to 4 Telex devices communicating with a PC
based Telex gateway station (handling parallel "flows").

> It was amazing what you could do with just Level 1.

I just could emphasize on this.

Johann K.

--
The dragon on my side: http://klasek.at/hc/dragon/