[Coco] OS-9 is not for me

Jason Law jmlaw at iprimus.com.au
Sun Nov 9 04:36:29 EST 2014

(Nothing harsh Nick :))

Nick wrote:

>If we were to give credit to someone for the initial breakthrough, I'd
>have to say the crown goes to Sock Master (John Kowalski). Neither me or
>you.

Actually I was just thinking about Sock’s "Moon Patrol" demo and remembering
I didn’t understand the technique he used when I read it a few years back.

Here’s how he says it works on his YouTube video
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32LfiNcerbI):

Quote:
“It scrolls by 2 pixel steps by using the 256-byte wide mode and dividing
the screen into two 128-byte copies side-by-side, 2nd copy stored at an odd
byte boundry. It alternates between the two when scrolling. (Similar trick
used in "Demo 1" for the wavy Sock Master logo.)”

The technique you and I use is completely different to this is it not???

The method I devised, and I believe yours is doing the same, is (for a
2-pixel, 1 byte shift) is to have two copies of the background in memory
(separate vertically offset pages), the second a copy of the first just
shifted 2-pixels/1 byte horixzontally from the other. Alternating between
the two at vsync and setting HVEN 128++ when ever going back to the first
screen shows an apparent 2-pixel/1-byte scroll.

I know most don't give a rats who came up with what, but I just wanted to
point out that my technique is different to that used by Sock Master (John
Kowalski) and not rip-off of his idea in anyway. I hadn't even seen it back
then.

I doubt Socks could get a 1-pixel scroll with that technique, but then he's
Socks so who knows, but the one I worked out allows you to do it (though a
bit more complex than for just 2-pixel/1-byte), using 4 copies of the
background 1-pixel/1-nibble shifted from each other.

> I don't see any problem if 2 or more people both make the same
> "discovery".

Neither do I Nick and maybe you forgot who told you how to do it or where
you heard it. I don't really care :) I'll take your word for it that you
worked it out all by yourself.

Hypothetically, and I only say this because of the initial 'ego/swell head'
comments from the misinterpretation, if it was from me, the only thing I'd
request would be that you mention it in your blog or should anyone ask,
that's it. Wouldn't be asking too much I don't think. It's definitely not
about 'ego' or 'ownership', just good karma :)

I didn't even mention any of this to query that, like I said, I don't care.
I think "do the right thing 'cos it's the right thing to do" and credit
people by name if you use their stuff, but a lot of people have the attitude
if it's out there on the net it's free game. That's not my view and it took
me a long time to even remotely understand why people do that, but some do
:) You can bring it to their attention and if they agree that yes you should
be credited then great, but if they don't, what can you do?!?!?! Just have
to think 'well it says far more about who they aren't as a person' and have
to learn from it and leave it at that. But it doesn't encourage openness to
share more ideas either. I've been accused of being secretive or whatever
where I was once very open. Past experience has shown not to expect that
everyone shares the same view so only to share it once I've done something
with it myself. Ok, going a bit off-track now... ^-- that's just general
stuff, not directed at you.

The only reason I mentioned it at all initially was if you were in anyway
thinking my work was a copy of yours, I could show you whatever you needed
to show I've been at this a long time, and before you started on it (who
cares), so not to be annoyed (if that were the case) if I'm using my own
stuff. That was all :) But that wasn't the case so all is well :)

Jason