[Coco] NitrOS-9 boot configuration tool

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 16:25:30 EST 2014

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 6:24 PM, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> Heh.. this is something else that Bill and I had planned for NitrOS9 and never got to. We were going to have the user making the bootfile pick out the device descriptors they needed (this is where the database part would come in… to show which version of /d0 one was picking for example: Floppy, no Halt Disto floppy, no halt Sardis floppy, etc.)), but it would use the device descriptor itself to figure out which driver and file manager was required for each, since the names of those is stored in the descriptor already anyways (and used by the OS itself).
> Of course, there are “fixed” ones that every normal boot would need (RBF, SCF, IOMAN, etc.) that would always automatically be put in (maybe an option for “customized” versions).

Curtis, this is very interesting, keep it coming :)

It sounds like the most difficult job here is to label all the
different descriptors so that the innocent user knows which ones to
pick. From there on autodetect dependencies on driver and file
manager. Then add some default ones.

Again, it would be great to add information about dependencies (those
that are not already embedded in the descriptor) into the source code.
Also descriptor labels/comments suitable for an easy user interface
could be baked into the source files, so there would be one single
source for this.

Best regards,
Tormod