[Coco] NitrOS-9 and the MPI

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Nov 8 08:13:56 EST 2014

Darren A wrote:
> Does anyone know if NitrOS-9 provides any kind of support for the MPI? If a
> driver is associated with a cartridge that uses SCS* for address decoding,
> is it completely the responsibility of the driver to make sure the correct
> MPI slot is activated?
>
> Since the floppy controllers use SCS* for decoding I tried looking through
> the rb1773 code, but didn't find any evidence to indicate that it takes the
> MPI into consideration.
>
> Darren

Darren,

By default the floppy controller is in the fourth slot of the MPI. It will at
least be in the slot that the selector switch is set to or NitrOS-9 will not
boot. That being the case, there is no need for a floppy driver to alter the MPI
slot selection.
It should be clear that any other driver needing to change an MPI slot needs to
save the current MPI setting, select what is needed for the special driver
operation, and return the MPI setting to the original when finished.

If you want an example of manipulating $FF7F, look at my swread.asm in
3rdparty/utils/smartwatch. I don't assume the Smartwatch (c) will be in the
floppy controller but could be in any rom pak. So the current MPI settings are
saved, each slot is tried until the watch is found, that slot is saved, and the
MPI toggled between floppy controller and watch location as needed.

Not all paks need to switch the MPI slot. It will depend on the addressing.

Robert