[Coco] Ownership of NitOS-9

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Nov 7 05:41:31 EST 2014

On Friday 07 November 2014 00:51:15 Bill Pierce via Coco did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Nick, Minted is Luis's software, not MW or Tandy. (therefore, probably
> better :-)
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

And I have been using a patched version of tsedit, called vi after the
patch.  Its command structure is 2 mode, same syntax as vi/vim.  It can be
launched on a coco3 with lots of ram with a #56K memory request!

And in 2 decades & change, I've had it sneeze on a save ONCE.  I've no
idea if there has been a more "bulletproof" editor for the coco's.

But now, after nearly 2 decades worth of additional stuff being added to
Nitros9, I've had to use ded on it and rename it to "vim" internally and
on the media because we now have a device descriptor for a vi.  Don't know
what it is, and have never used it, but its part of Nitros9 now.

It will take some DW contortions, but if worse comes to worse I can
probably add it to the files available on my web page at the Genes-os9-stf
link.

Now WTH? I have tried to copy it to the .dsk mounted at /x0 6 times now,
copy returns quickly with no errors but does NOT create the file in
/x0/cmds.  dir -e returns are normal and free says theres nearly 600 free
sectors.  But it worked if I put it in /x0/nitros9/6309L3/cmds. Weird.
Now to see if I can extract it from the .dsk.

Humm, looks like the executable $PATH for toolshed has changed since the
last time I edited my .bashrc as it is now /opt/toolshed/build/unix.  Used
to be /opt/toolshed/bin but that doesn't exist in the latest build.

Fixed that, closed that console and re-opened it to make "os9 copy"
available, but that syntax can be dangerous, and the return from "os9 copy
-?" isn't the least bit helpful about the comma usage. So if someone can
tell me how to get vim copied out of a .dsk image when it is in the
nitros9/6309l3/CMDS directory of that .dsk, I'd be grateful.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)