[Coco] Ownership of NitOS-9

nickma2 at optusnet.com.au nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 5 23:59:02 EST 2014

I agree with what you say. Everyone's machine is different. That's why
OS-9 needs an easy to use way for each user to create a system that
suits their hardware setup.

Something anyone can use comfortably without needing to be a seasoned
OS-9 veteran.

Can you see what I'm saying?

If a newbie struggles to even be able to setup his OS, what impression
does that leave after hours of frustration?

If that newbie could simply run OSCONFIG (or whatever) and be
presented with some menu system where he picks his hardware components
and it does all the work of fetching the drivers from a repository on
another disk, leaving him with a finished OS at the end, wouldn't he
walk away feeling impressed with the system? That's the true power of
an OS, it being able to act intelligently on your behalf and allowing
the user to "get on with the job".

Because there is so much diversity in hardware, all the more reason
for the need for this sort of "polish".

Nick