[Coco] The difference between /SD0 and /D0

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Nov 5 09:19:51 EST 2014

Nick Marentes wrote:
><snip>
>
> Well it turns out this is right. If I access /D0 (or /D1) either intentionally
> or accidentally, you may as well reboot your Nitros9 because you can't access
> /SD0 any more.
>
> This needs fixing up. Needs some error checking to know when it's talking to an
> LBA or a standard /D0.
>
> Also, noticed that when it boots, it says "Welcome to NitrOS-9 Level 2 with
> Drivewire 4".
>
> I don't think the SDC configured version has the Drivewire drivers setup does it?
>
> Is Ed the standard supplied text editor? It's like the old MS-DOS EDLIN. Isn't
> it time to retire this editor and give NitrOS-9 something a bit more
> "mid-80's"?  Or is there and I can't see it?
>
> First thing I'm gonna do is turn off that black on green and give myself
> something better on the eyes!
>
> I'm trying to learn but it will test my patience.
>
> Nick

Well I would not call it "right". :) What you are seeing should never happen as
there are two different sets of drivers for /SD0 and /D0. I have a different
pak, microSD by Roger Taylor, which has no problems handling pseudo drives on
the microSD, drives on DW4, hardware hard drives on a Ken-Ton interface, and
hardware floppies all at the same time.
There is no way I can test any of the SDC software without hardware. I also
can't distinguish between software failure or SDC hardware failure.

Based on the NitrOS-9 source code, your OS9Boot file should include, rbsuper,
llcocosdc, and sd0 for the SDC; rbdw, dwio, and x#s for DW4; rb1773, and D#s for
floppies. These different sets should be invisible to each other.
If the SDC wants to emulate both floppies and hard drives, it ought to use the
SD# descriptors for both and distinguish the format in the descriptors.

What do you see with
ident OS9Boot