[Coco] KIDS REACT TO OLD COMPUTERS

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Thu May 29 16:11:49 EDT 2014

Here's my take on that video: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/5702 and
I'm not particularly kind about it. It amazes me that darn thing has gained
so much traction and that this same conversation is taking place on so many
other forums and mailing lists I frequent. What's funny is that while there
was a snide remark on this list about Macintosh computers, on the TI-99/4a
list there was the same snide remark about Windows computers (the first
time I heard such a thing in that regard) and how GUIs have ruined "real"
computing.

In any case, my thinking is technology should never be an obstacle to
accomplishing things. Frankly, if anyone of any age wants to learn how to
program or get into hardware hacking, or any number of other things, there
are a virtual infinity of resources out there, much of which is low cost or
even free. Just because we were forced to do lots of things manually or
learn things on our own in the past doesn't mean that's a better way of
doing it or that it would create more people who knew their way around a
computer. The world we have today is accessible to far more people, with
far fewer barriers. All that's needed is the motivation to pursue them.

What's kind of ironic about the Macintosh and Windows comments is that many
other people who have an issue with the way things are today point to
smartphones and tablets as the "issue." To my mind, technology has merely
advanced in a logical manner. The opportunities have similarly improved.
While we have a certain nostalgia for vintage computers and related
technology, it doesn't mean we had it better. It was just different.

Oh, and on that TI list I said that some of the commenters were sounding a
bit "curmudgeonly," (the whole "kids today" thing) and I was immediately
warned that those kinds of personal attacks were not appreciated, which I
found amusing. I'm not sure if anyone has heard a real personal attack from
me.

-Bill

 Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and