[Coco] Colorcomputerarchive harmful behavior

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon May 26 10:24:39 EDT 2014

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> Who runs this site?  Can anyone get in touch with them and ask them to
> please stop distributing outdated versions of software created and
> maintained by other people?
>
> Its one thing to be an "archive" of software that is no longer under
> development, but distributing out of date versions of current projects does
> nobody any good.  That's why active projects nearly always insist on
> coordinated mirrors (or do not allow mirrors at all).
>
> The heart might be in the right place, but things like this make our
> community even more difficult for newcomers.
>
> Never distribute the files of someone elses active project!
>
> /rant off

Aaron,
I can think of a good counter example for distributing old versions of active
projects. :)

NitrOS-9 is an active project but if we could not get older versions to run,
more than a few programs would fail. For example, the change of parameter names
for tmode and xmode causes problems with programs that call these commands. I
was just looking at Shanghai for OS-9 which contains tmode -echo. As that game
is not a 3rdparty entry in NitrOS-9, it will not like recent versions of NitrOS-9.

Robert