[Coco] Colorcomputerarchive harmful behavior

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun May 25 21:18:36 EDT 2014

Aaron, I agree with you on LWTools and DriveWire as they are both being actively developed, but not on Vcc
Vcc was basically an "end product" when Joe stopped development on 1.4.2, There has been no more development on this version by the author or with his approval.

I personally uploaded 1.4.3b as there is NO link anywhere I know of on the net to link to your download and this includes all of the cococoding sites. The "FSTEST fix" that you did was only linked here on the list and as far as I know hasn't been deemed "official" as it has broken a few things. So I wouldn't say that Vcc is in "active development", it's an abandoned  product with no support.
The 1.4.3b version has gone no further and from what you tell me, will go no further. So I consider that "finished" as well.
I see the archives as a central distribution point for these files as Vcc has almost always been available in the archives since Joe's site went down giving it no home. The versions of Vcc in the archives are CLEARLY marked and I agree the older versions should be removed (or archived in one big zip as obsolete versions) as they are definitely obsolete and in some cases even non-functional. But for historical purposes, these do need to be stored somewhere (and available) as they were released to the public by Joeseph. That's like taking MW OS-9 L2 off the archives because you want people to download NitrOS9.

And I do see that keeping older builds/versions of NitrOS9 around as well for the very purpose of finding at what point something changed (as several of us have been doing recently). The older versions are NOT available (or buildable) on the repository site. I've even found people who want the older versions.But that's another story... :-) Yes I agree, for the latest versions, go to the SF site... but who's chronicling the progress? It's mistakes like these that has lost some software in the past.
I know Steve BJork was hosting Vcc at one point, but links to that site are not readily visible either. If you "google" Vcc, your site and Steve's will show, but links on other peoples sites are all for Joes site which has been gone for years which is very misleading. The Color Computer Archives is steadily growing to be THE central place to find things Coco related. And Vcc being what it is, should be there with the rest of the Coco emulators.

Just my 2 cents....

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia