[Coco] Announcing the Color Computer Starter Kits

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon May 19 13:40:42 EDT 2014

Andrew,
I don't know if making the kits for the old MSDOS emulators would make any difference other than the files all being n one place. The have no DW4 capabilities, limited HD support, (usually) require a dos box of sorts.. Just too many "outside" setups would be required on modern systems and not enough people with MSDOS capable machines to justify all the work. On the other hand, Vcc, Mess, and XRoar are widely used by Windows users and more people are finding ways to run Vcc under Linux and Mac. XRoar and Mess can both be found for Linux and Mac.
The MSDOS emulators (for most people) have to be run in some sort of "dos box" and it would probably be hard to implement that type of installation, though it may be possible and I'll look into it when I get a chance.
I liked the dos emulators as well. I starting using Jeff's Coco 2 emulator from the time he released it (95?). I also purchased Jeff's Coco 3 emulator right after it was released (serial #0007C). I also like David Keil's emulator a lot. To me, it had the best GUI of all the emulators past and present. I just wish he would upgrade it to run on Windows Vista, 7, & 8, as he's still active in the Coco Community. It wouldn't be hard (I wouldn't think so anyway).
But all of those emulators require a lot of setup that's internal to the programs and make it hard to implement a "turnkey" system. Again, I will check into it as I know lots of people still use them.

The Mess kits will be put together as soon as Richard get's a build that the setup is standard in the fashion of the other Coco emus in Mess. He has the becker port working, but it's temperamental about where the roms are, where it's run from etc. So there's still some work to be done.

The "real" Coco kits will be put together as soon as I get some time away from my MShell project which has consumed my waking hours lately. It's become an obsession.

I also need to complete the "Installation and User Guides" for the ones I have uploaded. I have the manuals "partially" done, but was unsure of some things (that are now resolved), so I'll get back to them soon.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com